Employees should report any accidents that occur at work and record them in an ‘accident book’. As an employer, you also have a responsibility to report certain accidents to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

Under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR), employers, self-employed people and people in control of premises must report deaths, major injuries, injuries that involve being off work for more than three days, work-related diseases and dangerous occurrences (near-miss accidents). This includes violent incidents.

The HSE says the easiest way to report an incident is to call the Incident Contact Centre on 0845 300 99 23 (Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm). An operator will complete a form over the phone and send you a copy for your records. However, you can also fill out a form online at http://www.hse.gov.uk/riddor/report.htm, or report incidents via email or post.

You also need to report the death or injury (if it requires a trip to hospital) of members of the public (but only if they 'arise out of or are in connection with work').
HSE recommendations also state that it is good practice for first aiders and appointed persons to record incidents that required their attendance. The information can help identify accident trends and possible areas for improvement in the control of health and safety risks. It can also be used as a record in future first aid needs assessments.

The first thing to do if there is an accident is to make sure your safety representative is informed, if there is one. The incident or details of the illness should then be recorded in the accident book, and the relevant line manager informed. If the injured party needs to, they must visit their GP or local casualty department, explaining how it happened, and what job they do.